[Tutor] more help with vitualenv

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Apr 28 06:58:56 CEST 2012

Ivor Surveyor wrote:

> As suggested I visited the site virtualenv.  However I could not find
> the files for download and to install on my machine.
> Could I please ask for further guidance on how to proceed?

Which site did you go to? "virtualenv" is not a site, it is a name. Precision
of language is your friend -- when asking for help, please be precise and
accurate in your descriptions.

When I google for "virtualenv", the very first link that comes up is this:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv

Is that the site you went to? If not, which site did you go to?

On that site, there is a link "Downloads" almost at the top of the page,
immediately under the title:

virtualenv 1.7.1.2
Virtual Python Environment builder
Downloads

Clicking on the Downloads link takes you directly to the download area, where
you can download a source tarball (.tar.gz file).

Or if you prefer, there are other instructions for installing it. Do you have
pip installed on your computer? If so, you can run

pip install virtualenv

from the command line (NOT the Python interactive interpreter) to
automatically install virtualenv.

Or if all else fails, the site above links directly to a single Python file
which you can save to your hard drive.

--
Steven