[Tutor] how to build a multiplayer game?

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Wed Apr 11 12:42:40 CEST 2012

On 04/11/2012 06:02 AM, Surya K wrote:

> I have written the basic part of the game. Now I want to make it a multiplayer one. (Its not a web app, a OS application)
> So, I just wanted to know how do it.
> Which topics I should refer? Network Programming or Web Programming or Internet Client Programming.
> (There were the topics mentioned in Core Python Programming book).
>
> Can anyone tell me how do we achieve such a application (I mean without having a web server). I am not really ready to setup a Apache HTTP server..... and all.

You want to make two instances of the app talk to each other.  If
they're on the same machine (unlikely for a real game, but might be used
for testing), or if they're on the same local network, then the features
you need are available in the stdlib.  If you're going out on the web,
you need a host out there which will cooperate with the two apps (players).

Same local network:  Generally when both machines share a router or a
wifi connection, and would get to the web through the same ISP
connection.  If you figure out what their IP addresses are, they can
talk directly, using sockets.

Out on the web:  You need a server that's on the web that each machine
can reach.  It doesn't have to be your own, and I can't recommend any
particular one, but I'd bet google appserver would work.  For that
matter, email would work, if you don't mind a pretty long delay between
turns.

For any more specific advice, somebody else had better pop in.

--

DaveA