[Tutor] Mac IDE

Tim Johnson tim at akwebsoft.com
Thu Sep 29 17:53:08 CEST 2011

* Wayne Werner <waynejwerner at gmail.com> [110929 03:52]:

> My personal favorite?
>
> Two terminal windows - one with Vim, editing my Python scripts, and another
> with an interactive interpreter. Since you can map keys in Vim, I have <F5>
> mapped to save and run current file. If you're in the habit of editing
> multiple files you could set it up to map <F5> to ask which file you want to
> set as your main .py file. And since you mentioned debug, I usually just use
> pdb if I need debugging. You could easily map a key such as <F9> to insert a
> new line and type 'pdb.set_trace()'. Vim has a fairly steep learning curve,
> but if you spend 30 minutes with the vimtutor you'll be fine. With newer
> versions of Vim you can also write plugins for them in Python.
 I'll second that. Vim (not vi - more on that later) is my IDE. I
 have customized it using vimscript and what I have is as feature -
 rich as any out-of-the-box IDE - but with differences.

> Of course these capabilities (and many many more) are available with Emacs.

  I used Emacs extensively in the past. Vim is my preference, but
  emacs has a feature that is not present (yet) in vim : the ability
  to run interpreters - as an example the terminal shell and the
  python - asynchronously inside of the application.  This is a very
  handy feature, eliminating the second application window.

> I personally recommend that you learn one (or both) of these editors. They
> will highly improve the speed at which you are able to edit your code.
  I would not wish vim or emacs on anyone who doesn't wish to use
  them. But for someone with an open mind, some points :
  . 'vim' is not 'vi', but is 'descended from' vi.
  . There is 'vim' - teminal mode and 'gvim' - vim with gui.
    I use vim as my default midnight command editor, gvim as my
    'IDE'
  . Emacs can be run in terminal mode also, with greater speed, but
    less features.
  . There are 'easy' modes available for both, enabling a new user to
    find themselves in a more familiar environment.
  . The python interpreter can be compiled into vim. On ubuntu it is
    the default. This gives the user the ability to customize vim
    using python code.
  . Some call emacs and vim 'arcane'. Some ridicule vim's 'modal'
    style of editing. Neither are arcane, they are very up to date
    and are a parallel way of doing things.
    vim modal editing is a thing of beauty. Watching a adept
    vim user work can be breathtaking to observe. The corollary
    would be that some consider python weird because it is
    column-sensitive.

  Just sayin' ....
--
Tim