[Tutor] need advice about a dictionary ({})

Richard D. Moores rdmoores at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 23:40:11 CEST 2011

Thanks so much, Jack. You've given me much to chew on.

I began phone_book.py without much need for it -- I already had an RTF
file with 786 lines that I "grepped" using a script I wrote with Tutor
help long ago. I used an RTF file instead of a text file so that any
URLs in it would be live. But I wanted to refresh what little I used
to know about dicts and see where I could go with it. It turns out to
be something I'll actually use for quickly looking up  phone numbers
of people (friends, relatives, doctors, etc.) and some businesses, and
the occasional address. For adding key=value items to the data file,
values can be copied as is from the RTF file.  It'll probably have
fewer than 100 entries.  Your idea doesn't seem efficient for me --
lots of typing and editing. But very interesting! I'll probably have
fewer than 100 entries.

Your pickle examples give me a start on using the cPickle module.

Dick