[Tutor] Tutor Digest, Vol 92, Issue 128

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Mon Oct 31 23:20:38 CET 2011

On 10/31/2011 06:09 PM, Alan Gauld wrote:
> On 31/10/11 20:55, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> You may prefer to change to individual emails instead of digest mode. In
>> my opinion, digest mode is only useful when you want to read other
>> people's comments without commenting yourself.
>
> It depends, I've used digests from other lists that delivered
> the mails as embedded messages that you could open individually
> and replies then followed the original. I think that requires
> MIME encoding in the digest. But I've never tried it on the
> tutor list so I don't know if it works here.
>
> And digests are useful if you are on a tariff that limits the
> number of messages received because they see the digest as
> one message. But OTOH I haven't seen anyone offering message
> based access for a quite a few years now.

I used digest mode (here and in python-list) up until a few weeks ago.
It worked fine (in Thunderbird) replying to one of the embedded messages.

I don't remember just what digest mode I had picked, but not all choices
worked this way.  Anyway, when I got a new email address, I also
switched to individual emails.

--

DaveA