[Tutor] Windows vs Linux processing speed.

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Sat Oct 15 15:52:37 CEST 2011

On 10/14/2011 9:45 AM Tony Pelletier said...

> I have a question regarding the speed of my program on linux in
> comparison to windows.

<snip>

> I mainly use windows, but I tend to use Arch Linux at home.  When I run
> it via windows, it's relatively slow and didn't really bother me, but
> when I ran it at home I got through 15 or so and got a message back from
> google saying  I was exceeding the allowed amount.  Or something to that
> effect.  Basically, I was exceeding the 10 per second that's allowed.
>
> So, my question is.  Why is it running so much faster on linux?

Following up on Steven's reference to the py-dev thread, here's the link
to the patch that details the simple changes that Chris Withers applied
to httplib to improve his testcase performance from ~20 minutes to <3
seconds.

http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Lib/httplib.py?r1=74523&r2=74655

Emile