[Tutor] Runtime error while Test data creation

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 8 12:37:45 CEST 2011

On 07/10/11 22:32, Guess?!? wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions. There is no traceback/stacktrace errors that
> I can see

The key is the last phrase. Your GUI IDE is hiding it.
If you run your program from an Operating Command prompt then you should
see the full error stack trace which (usually) contains a
lot of useful information.

> The run time error pops up in a windows dialog box with a text I wrote
> below in my first email and closing the dialog box closes the IDLE GUI
> python.

IDLE is good for many things but sadly displaying error messages is not
one of them. Run it from a command prompt.

In fact that's good advice with any IDE in my experience. If an error is
hard to debug try running in the native OS and see if anything changes.
IDEs bring all sorts of nice tools but in doing so they tend to mess
with the execution environment so that things are different from "the
real world" environment.

HTH,

--
Alan G