[Tutor] tkinter message & button questions

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 30 20:22:39 CET 2011

On 30/11/11 14:32, Cranky Frankie wrote:

> The syntax you used, like "root.geometry("400x100")", I have not seen
> before, and I've done a lot of searching. Again, much of the tkinter
> stuff I see seems to be based on Python 2.6. If there is a definitive
> book or reference on using tkinter in Python 3.x I'd really like to
> know about it.

For those times when help() fails to provide enough detail...
The definitive reference for Tkinter is usually the Tk documentation.
But that is expressed in terms of Tcl rather than Python - although they
are trying to address that. But it does require some translation.

I usually look here first:

http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/tk.html

and

http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/index.htm

For the Tk docs try:

http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/TkLib/contents.htm

And finally this shows promise but is still under construction
:
http://www.tkdocs.com/index.html

It tries to cover other languages, including Python but its a bit patchy
so far...

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site