[Tutor] why doesn't python show error

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 30 01:52:33 CET 2011

On 28/11/11 10:31, surya k wrote:
> Thanks for that information. I understood what you are saying but in
> general when python doesn't give us executable files (whether its in
> Mac/ Linux/ Windows).. how could people develop programs ?.
> At some point of time people need to provide a file that runs without
> the help of a python interpreter..

As Stephen pointed out many programs run in interpreted environments
including almost every web client side program.

But even if you compile the code to a native exe it will usually still
not be truly standalone. Any Windows program will rely on the existence
of the standard Windows DLLs and libraries such as msvcrt. Unix
programs expect the standard libc and other libraries to be there.

Unless you are in the extremely unusual position of writing software for
an embedded device without any OS support then your code needs support
files. What difference does it make whether they are in the form of
shared libraries or an interpreter like .NET or  the Java JVM or the
Python interpreter?

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site