[Tutor] Functional tutorial covering SQL database + GUI interface

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 28 23:20:23 CET 2011

On 28/11/11 17:49, Monte Milanuk wrote:

> Is there / do you know of any tutorial that covers actually using an SQL
> database with a GUI interface (say, sqlite and tkinter since they come
> packaged with python by default) to build something moderately useful like a
> small address book i.e. CRUD application?

My tutorial shows how to build an address book in SqlLite.
But it doesn't add the GUI layer. But the GUI is pretty much independant
of the SQL Layer (or should be!)

The Case Study app shows a more representative GUI with some radio
buttons and a Text widget(where you could dump the result of a SQL
qwuery for example...)

> Seems like most of the tutorials cover isolated 'proof of concept' db access
> or small windows with a button and label, not a lot more.

Thats all most tutorials will cover, its an exercise for the reader to
join all the bits together :-)

But seriously, if I ever get round to finishing the missing topics I do
intend to take the address book right through to a web application on
top of a SQL database.... Just finding the time is the problem.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site