[Tutor] \x00T\x00r\x00i\x00a\x00 ie I get \x00 breaking up every character ?

dave selby dave6502 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 19:28:09 CET 2011

Hi All,

I have a long string which is an HTML file, I strip the HTML tags away
and make a list with

text = re.split('<.*?>', HTML)

I then tried to search for a string with text.index(...) but it was
not found, printing HTML to a terminal I get what I expect, a block of
tags and text, I split the HTML and print text and I get loads of

\x00T\x00r\x00i\x00a\x00  ie I get \x00 breaking up every character.

Any idea what is happening and how to get back to a list of ascii strings ?

Cheers

Dave