[Tutor] Encoding

Max S. maxskywalker1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 15:05:44 CET 2011

Well, I am assuming that by this you mean converting user input into a
string, and then extracting the numerals (0-9) from it.  Next time, please
tell us your version of Python.  I'll do my best to help with this.  You
might try the following:

the_input = input("Insert string here: ") # change to raw_input in python 2
after = ""
for char in the_input:
    try:
        char = int(char)
    except:
        after += char

If other symbols might be in the string ($, @, etc.), then you might use

the_input = input('Insert string here: ') # change to raw_input in python 2
after = ''
not_allowed = '1234567890-=!@#$%^&**()_+,./<>?`~[]{}\\|'
for char in the_input:
    if char in not_allowed:
        pass
    else:
        after += char

This method requires more typing, but it works with a wider variety of
characters.  Hopefully this helped.