[Tutor] Trouble installing Python on Win7 (not a valid Win 32 app)

Wayne Werner waynejwerner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 23:25:32 CET 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Wayne Watson
<sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> I had py 2.5.2 installed (Yes, I know it's old) on my Win 7 64-bit PC
> earlier this year, but it began to fail back in June.  I tried a
> uninstall/install, but that got me nowhere.  I tried again yesterday.
> Uninstalled, then puzzled over whether I should delete the remaining
> python25 folder.  There were a few files in it. Nothing that looked
> relevant of use any longer.  I did notice several Remove....exe files for
> numpy, scipy and others.  Rather than chance messing up python25, I renamed
> it, then installed 2.5.2.
>
> I found that every time I tried to activate a py file, or open it in IDLE,
> I would get an error that said something like this:
> c:\Users\blah\...\junk.py is not a valid Win 32 app. (or idle.pyw)
>
> Comments?

Not specifically a Python program - more Windows-related than anything.

That being said, it sounds an awful lot like the python.exe isn't in your
path. To get it there you can open windows explorer (WIN+E) right click on
computer > properties then click advanced system settings. In the window
that pops up, click the "environment variables" button. In the "system
variables" portion, find the path variable and click the "Edit..." button.
Assuming that your new installation was placed in C:\Python25\ you will
want to add ";C:\Python25\" (the semicolon is important!) to the end of
your path.

Then you should be able to open the .py files.

HTH,
Wayne