[Tutor] Okay, this time I tried doing a little research but no luck in solving this one.

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Nov 11 02:34:58 CET 2011

Nathaniel Trujillo wrote:
> Okay, I typed into the command line of version 2.7.2, python -c "import
> sys; print sys.version". I tried it with and without the quotes. I tried
> copying the error messages from the command line but it wouldn't let me so
> I copied them from the python shell instead.

You're running that command from *inside* Python.

I asked:

     Once you have installed Python, run this from the command
     line to test it:

     python -c "import sys; print sys.version"

I'm sorry, I should have been more explicit that I meant from your
system command line, the shell or command.exe or cmd.com, not from
inside Python.

You should see a prompt ending with % or possibly % but not Python's
prompt >>>.

My intention is to ensure that the bare python command is working correctly.

Later on, I asked you to:

     launch the Python interactive interpreter by running:

     python

which implies that you *hadn't* launched the interactive interpreter
before this point.

Sorry for the confusion.

--
Steven