[Tutor] Python 2.7 on Ubuntu 11.10 - Do not unintall

Joel Montes de Oca joelmontes01 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 15:10:09 CET 2011

On 11/02/2011 02:26 AM, spawgi at gmail.com wrote:
> Shouldn't this be treated as a bug then? As a user I should be allowed
> to uninstall the software I want to.
> Or you uninstalled other things by mistake?
>
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:18 AM, Joel Montes de Oca
> <joelmontes01 at gmail.com <mailto:joelmontes01 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue 01 Nov 2011 08:56:41 PM EDT, Max gmail wrote:
>
>         Heh, yeah.  It's usually a bad idea to do stuff like that (I
>         know a guy (Windows) who deleted his OS of his system).
>
>         On Nov 1, 2011, at 7:40 PM, Joel Montes de Oca wrote:
>
>             I just discovered that it is a bad idea to complete
>             uninstall Python 2.7 on Ubuntu 11.10. If you do, expect a
>             lot of things not to work, mainly your system. haha
>
>             I just reinstalled Python 2.7 and I hope things are not so
>             bad now when I reboot.
>
>             --
>             -Joel M.

>     Yea, It wiped out GNOME and UNITY along with a few other
>     applications. It wasn't a big deal tho, I just reinstalled
>     ubuntu-desktop threw apt-get. :)
>

>     --
>     -Joel M.
>

> --
> http://spawgi.wordpress.com
> We can do it and do it better.

Spawgi,

Like a few people have mentioned before, this isn't a bug. Unity and
GNOME rely on Python 2.7 to work, which is fine. When I uninstalled
Python2.7 GNOME and Unity didn't have a way to run their py files, which
results in a broken environment. The package manager was smart enough to
list everything that was going to be uninstalled since they rely on
Python. So instead of leaving broken systems on my computer, it
uninstalled all the packages that would had been broken, including Unity
and GNOME.

I just want to add one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet. The only
bug was the one called Joel M, which failed to read the uninstall list
until later when I noticed my environments were being uninstalled.  haha!

Synaptic, the package manager I was using, listed everything that was
going to be uninstalled but I didn't read it. I didn't realize how many
system tools used python until later. Live and learn.

It wasn't a big deal. All I had to do was reinstall Python2.7 and
reboot. Of course, after the reboot, I didn't have an environment to log
into. So I pressed Ctr + Alt + F1 to get into tty1 and then ran sudo
apt-get install ubuntu-desktop. That took care of the missing
environment. Then I restarted with sudo shutdown -r now. I didn't really
need to do that since I think restarting X was enough but I restarted
anyhow.

As far as the comments about Ubuntu 11.10 being buggy. I don't think
it's Ubuntu 11.10 that is buggy, I think it's Unity that is a bit buggy.
I use Unity and sometimes applications do crash or fail to open when you
click on their icons... Like I said, I think it's an issue with Unity
but I can't say for sure since I haven't used another environment since
I installed Ubuntu 11.10.

--
-Joel M.