[Tutor] Python 2.7 on Ubuntu 11.10 - Do not unintall

Christian Witts cwitts at compuscan.co.za
Wed Nov 2 07:34:53 CET 2011

On 2011/11/02 08:26 AM, spawgi at gmail.com wrote:
> Shouldn't this be treated as a bug then? As a user I should be allowed
> to uninstall the software I want to.
> Or you uninstalled other things by mistake?
>
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:18 AM, Joel Montes de Oca
> <joelmontes01 at gmail.com <mailto:joelmontes01 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue 01 Nov 2011 08:56:41 PM EDT, Max gmail wrote:
>
>         Heh, yeah.  It's usually a bad idea to do stuff like that (I
>         know a guy (Windows) who deleted his OS of his system).
>
>         On Nov 1, 2011, at 7:40 PM, Joel Montes de Oca wrote:
>
>             I just discovered that it is a bad idea to complete
>             uninstall Python 2.7 on Ubuntu 11.10. If you do, expect a
>             lot of things not to work, mainly your system. haha
>
>             I just reinstalled Python 2.7 and I hope things are not so
>             bad now when I reboot.
>
>             --
>             -Joel M.

>     Yea, It wiped out GNOME and UNITY along with a few other
>     applications. It wasn't a big deal tho, I just reinstalled
>     ubuntu-desktop threw apt-get. :)
>

>     --
>     -Joel M.
>

> --
> http://spawgi.wordpress.com
> We can do it and do it better.

It's not a bug. Ubuntu requires Python to be installed for a number of
it's applications to run, and uninstalling Python will cause them to
stop working. You could argue that then they should maintain a seperate
install of Python to handle their core applications, but that would go
against the grain of how package management is performed and how
releases would need to be packaged etc.

--

Christian Witts
Python Developer