[Tutor] assigning a variable a value

Kyle Benak kbenak86 at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 02:19:57 CEST 2011

Hi,

I am learning python and I am trying to write a simple "guess the number"
game. I wrote the program in the IDLE, and I set the variable tries=1 to keep up
with the number of tries it takes to guess the number, but when I try to run the
program it gives the error message "improper syntax" and highlights the word
tries.  So, I assigned the variable tries the value 1 in the python shell window
and it works fine there.  Can you tell me why it won't work in the program? A
copy of my code is below for clarification.

#Guess My Number
#
#The computer picks a random number between 1 and 100
#The player tries to guess it and the computer lets
#the player know if the guess is too high, too low, or correct
import random
print('Welcome to "Guess My Number"!')
print('\nI\'m thinking of a number between 1 and 100.')
print('Try and guess the number in as few turns as possible.')

#set initial values
num = random.randint(1,100)
guess = int(input('Take a guess: ')
tries = 1
while guess != num:
    if guess > num:
          print('Too high. Guess lower.')
    else:
          print('Too low. Guess higher.')
    guess=input('Take another guess: ')
    tries += 1
print('You guessed it. The number was',num)
print('Congratulations, You guessed the correct answer.'
print('It only took you',tries,'tries.')

input('\n\nPress enter to exit.')

I highlighted the problem in red.

Thanks for any help.
Kyle