[Tutor] String formatting question.

Steve Willoughby steve at alchemy.com
Thu Mar 31 18:51:59 CEST 2011

On 31-Mar-11 09:46, bob gailer wrote:
> IMHO % formatting is the easiest to use and understand.
> I am sorry that it has been slated for removal.

I had the same reaction, but I think it was mostly because of my long
background as a C programmer, since it's essentially the equivalent of
printf() formatting.  Just heavily ingrained in my brain.

However, since the more recent Python 2 versions have supported
str.format(), and anticipating their removal from Python 3, I have
started gravitating more to them, and I have to admit they're more
powerful and probably a good evolutionary step to take.  Especially so
if your formats are configurable or generated by code which may want to
reorder the values.

Steve Willoughby / steve at alchemy.com
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
PGP Fingerprint 48A3 2621 E72C 31D9 2928 2E8F 6506 DB29 54F7 0F53