[Tutor] Error in programming

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 07:00:10 CET 2011

On 3/25/2011 12:27 AM, Lea Parker wrote:

> *Hello*
>
> **
>
> *Just wondering if you have some time to cast your eyes over another
> basic program.*

Donald pointed out the first error. (actually there are 3 such spelling
errors).

When you get "name xxx is not defined" use your editor's find feature to
find where the name is defined. In this case you would not find it which
should lead you to the problem.

When you fix that you will then get
TypeError: 'str' object is not callable
on the same line of code.

Do you see why?

When you fix that you will then get either
ValueError: invalid literal for int() or
ValueError: int() base must be >= 2 and <= 36

Before returning with "why" attempt to apply the error message to the
code to see what the problems are.
Look up int() in the Python documentation

> **
>
> # Prompt user for data
>
> def main():
>
>     print 'This program is to calculate your ticket sales to the
> softball game'
>
>     print                                   #blank line
>
>     # Value of each level of seat
>
>     a_seat = 15.00
>
>     b_seat = 12.00
>
>     c_seat = 9.00
>
>     # Obtain data
>
>     sales_a = int (raw_input('Enter the number of class A tickets sold '))
>
>     sales_b = int (raw_input('Enter the number of class B tickets sold '))
>
>     sales_c = int (raw_input('Enter the number of class C tickets sold
> '))
>
>     income_generated(a_seat, b_seat, c_seat, sales_a, sales_b, sales_c)
>
> # Obtain data to determine income generated from sales
>
> def income_generated(a_seat, b_seat, c_seat, sales_a, sales_b, sales_c):
>
>     total_sales = """times the seat value by the number of seats sold
> for each seat
>
>     and add totals togeter"""(sale_a * a_seat) + (sale_b * b_seat) +
> (sale_c * c_seat)
>
>     #Display result to user
>
>     print int ('Your total sales for the softball game are: $ ',
> total_sales)
>
> # Call the main function
>
> main()
>
> *I get the following errors:*

> ================================
>

> This program is to calculate your ticket sales to the softball game
>
> Enter the number of class A tickets sold 5
>
> Enter the number of class B tickets sold 5
>
> Enter the number of class C tickets sold 10
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "F:/Backups/MY Documents26.2.11/Documents/Lea
> University/CSU/ITC10 - Programming Principles/2011/Assessment
> Tasks/Assessment 1b and 1c/Stadium_Seating.py", line 29, in <module>
>
>     main()
>
>   File "F:/Backups/MY Documents26.2.11/Documents/Lea
> University/CSU/ITC10 - Programming Principles/2011/Assessment
> Tasks/Assessment 1b and 1c/Stadium_Seating.py", line 18, in main
>
>     income_generated(a_seat, b_seat, c_seat, sales_a, sales_b, sales_c)
>
>   File "F:/Backups/MY Documents26.2.11/Documents/Lea
> University/CSU/ITC10 - Programming Principles/2011/Assessment
> Tasks/Assessment 1b and 1c/Stadium_Seating.py", line 23, in
> income_generated
>
>     and add totals togeter"""(sale_a * a_seat) + (sale_b * b_seat) +
> (sale_c * c_seat)
>
> NameError: global name 'sale_a' is not defined
>

> *My way of thinking is firstly I need to fix line 29 which is main(),
> I tried to do this by adding the brackets around text output in line
> 26. This seemed to allow me to type main against margin rather than it
> wanting to indent but didn't fix the problem. Your suggestions would
> be appreciated.*
>
> **
>
> *Thank*
>
> *Lea*