[Tutor] CSV Ouptut concern...

Dipo Elegbede delegbede at dudupay.com
Thu Mar 17 13:53:39 CET 2011

Thanks Tim, that worked like magic.

I now have another challenge on the same file, in this case, i am trying to
extract just a column as PARTY, I successfully wrote the header but instead
of having each element in a single excel block like this:

ACD
ACN
ACPN
AD
ADC
ALP
ANPP
APGA
APS
ARP
BNPP
CAP
CDC
CPC
CPN
CPP
DFPF
DPP

It is spelt out on different block like this:

 PARTY    A    A C D   A C N   A C P N  A D   A D C   A L P   A N P P  A P G
A  A P S   A R P   B N P P  C A P   C D C   C P C   C P N   C P P   D F P F
D P P

what could be wrong with this code:

import csv

reader = csv.reader(open('stateparty.csv'))
counter = 1
header = ["PARTY"]
fh = open('stateparty3.csv','wb')
writer = csv.writer(fh)
writer.writerow(header)
for row in reader:
      if counter == 1:
          parties = row[1:-1]
          for party in parties:
              writer.writerow([party])
      counter += 1
fh.close()

Thanks for your responses as anticipated.

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:

> On 17/03/2011 11:56, Dipo Elegbede wrote:
>
>> i wrote a code for extracting information from a csv file into another
>> csv file.
>> it worked well but i have an immediate challenge i can't seem to fix.
>> the new file that is created has an row and then an empty row and then a
>> row all through the file. how can i make the empty rows not be part of
>> the file.
>>

> Open the file in binary mode:
>
> fh = open('stateparty2.csv','wb')
>
> TJG

Elegbede Muhammed Oladipupo
OCA
+2348077682428
+2347042171716
www.dudupay.com
Mobile Banking Solutions | Transaction Processing | Enterprise Application
Development