[Tutor] ctypes question

ALAN GAULD alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 8 10:09:45 CET 2011

> When I use os.chdir (by the way: why on earth isn't this called os.setcwd()??
> That's consistent with os.getcwd())

History.
They are Unix commands (and possibly Multics/PDP before that!).
cd has been the command in almost every CLI OS I've ever used from
CP/M thru' OS/9, Unix, DOS,  etc...

The only exceptions being VAX/VMS(uses 'set def') and OS/390 on
a mainframe which doesn't use a directory based file system.

That doesn't mean Python shouldn't adopt a more consistent naming
scheme it's just that the folks building it simply transferred the names
of the commands that they were familiar with. Its a self perpetuating
habit... :-)

Alan G.