[Tutor] Critter

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 00:05:55 CEST 2011

On 27 June 2011 19:52, Vincent Balmori <vincentbalmori at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Last thing I need to do solve is the __str__ problem. I can print the name
> fine, but everytime I try to put in the self.hunger and self.boredom values
> I get:
>
> TypeError: Can't convert 'int' object to str implicitly

OK, so if Python can't convert an int to a str implicitly, then it's up to
you to do it *explicitly*, by using the str() conversion function or perhaps
by using a format string operation.

#For example:
a_number = 123
print(a_number)
a_number_str = str(a_number)
print(a_number_str)
a_number_str_nicely_formatted = 'The number value is %4d.' % a_number
print(a_number_str_nicely_formatted)

Additionally I'd like to point out that your solution is fixed to 3
critters, whilst using a list would allow you to have a variable number of
critters and add more if you wanted them while the program was running and
without having to go and modify your program to do so. So, I'd suggest that
you try to figure out how to eliminate managing your 3 critters via 3
explicit variables and instead store them in a list, and enhancing the
program so you can add critters from the menu. (If this is expanding the
scope of the excercise beyond what is intended then please ignore my
suggestion.)

Regards

Walter