[Tutor] if statement

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 23:38:05 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Matthew Brunt <mbrunt12 at gmail.com> wrote:
> i'm very new to python (currently going through a python for beginners
> book at work to pass the time), and i'm having trouble with an if
> statement exercise.  basically, i'm creating a very simple password
> program that displays "Access Granted" if the if statement is true.
> the problem i'm having is that no matter what i set the password to,
> it seems like it's ignoring the if statement (and failing to print
> "Access Granted").  the code is copied below.  i'm pretty sure it's my
> own programming ignorance, but i would greatly appreciate any
> feedback.

Actually, no, this case it's not your ignorance. What is probably
going on is that you are using Python 2, but the book is going with
Python 3. I won't get into the details, but the function that does
what input() does in Python 3, is called raw_input() in Python 2 (and
the Python 2 input() function is advised against using for security
reasons). Probably if you change input to raw_input in your program,
it does do what you want it to do.