[Tutor] question regarding regular expression compile

Yaniga, Frank Frank.Yaniga at GDIT.com
Wed Jan 12 15:02:37 CET 2011

I believe I had epiphany:

        test = re.compile('MAT file (billing|carrier|log|util)' r'\\' '\d{8} deleted')

is this correct?

From: Yaniga, Frank
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:20 AM
To: 'tutor at python.org'; 'help at python.org'
Subject: question regarding regular expression compile

I am determining a regular expression that can recognize the any of the following strings:

MAT file log\20101225 deleted
MAT file billing\20101225 deleted
MAT file util\20101225 deleted
MAT file carrier\20101225 deleted

I begin by creating a regular expression object so that I can reuse it in multiple operations:

        test = re.compile('MAT file

for log, billing, util, and carrier I use an arbitrary match:

        (log|billing|util|carrier)

for 20101225 I use decimal digit with repetition match:

        \d{8}

and finish with:

        delete')

My question is how do I handle the backslash (NOTE: the match must only be a backslash)?