[Tutor] subclass not inheriting attributes?

Alex Hall mehgcap at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 01:47:56 CET 2011

Hi all,
I have a solitaire game in which I use a "Pile" class. This class is
meant to hold a bunch of cards, so I subclass it for the deck, the ace
stacks, and the seven main stacks, defining rules and methods for each
but also relying on the parent Pile class's methods and attributes.
However, I keep getting an error that an attribute in the parent does
not exist in the child. Below is a simplified example, but it gives me
the exact same error: child object has no attribute l.

class parent(object):
 def __init__(self, l=None):
  if l is None: l=[]

class child(parent):
 def __init__(self, *args, **kwords):
  super(parent, self).__init__(*args, **kwords)
  self.l.append(5)

c=child()
print c.l

Again, I get an error saying that 'child' object has no attribute 'l'.
Python 2.7 on win7x64. Thanks.

--
Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)