[Tutor] Converting .pyd to .so

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun Feb 27 20:54:09 CET 2011

fall colors, 27.02.2011 20:27:
> I was wondering if it would be possible to convert a .pyd file that works on
> Windows into a .so file that works on Linux?
>
> I gather that it might not be possible to convert the .pyd file if the
> underlying DLL file was built with Windows API calls (Swig was used to wrap
> up the DLL into a pyd file). Is there a wrapper or something that can
> interface to the .pyd to make it Linux compatible?

Well, there's Wine, a free implementation of Windows for Unix systems. You
can either try to load the DLL using Wine and ctypes (I suspect that's the
hard way), or just run the Windows Python distribution through Wine and
load the wrapper .pyd into that.

I assume the DLL is only available in binary form?

Stefan