[Tutor] accessing another system's environment

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 25 10:11:26 CET 2011

"Bill Allen" <wallenpb at gmail.com> wrote

>I have times when it is useful for me to check the environment of a
>user
> system on our lan remotely while trouble shooting and issue with
> them.  Now,
> this is quite easy to do while I am using a windows system via the
> computer
> management console.

I think we are meaning different things by "environment"?
Can you give a specific example?

> However, I am trying to do this via a linux workstation
> (which is joined to the domain, etc.).   I cannot find a native
> facility to duplicate the computer management functions, so I
> thought I
> would write a program to fill the need.

Anything you can do locally you can do on the remote
machine with a combination of ssh, rsh, rlogin, telnet etc.
ssh is the safest but requires a bit more admin to set it
up properly for maximum convenience.

Having got remote access its just a case of figuring out
which of the 500 or so Unix commands you need to
use to do the job... :-)

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld