[Tutor] help

Dipo Elegbede delegbede at dudupay.com
Thu Feb 24 10:08:00 CET 2011

i can mail free books on python 2.XXXX if you want.
starting out with python 3.XXX restricts the amount of help you can get and
also free resources.
most resources i have come across are python 2.XXX.
cheers.

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 5:15 AM, Chris Schiro <cschiro.gc at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am completely new to programming aside from working with basic many
> years
> > ago. I purchased a Python book for beginners so I could start from
> scratch
> > which has been walking me through just fine until: writing a program to
> > interact with user for feedback:
> >

> > name=input(“What is your name? “)
> >

> > I have found that this line will return an error every time while running
> > the completed program, unless I enter a number. If I enter a numeric
> value
> > the program will continue on as written.
> >

> > I have followed the code exactly per the book. What is the proper coding
> in
> > this scenario?
>
> What is going on is that you are presumably running some version of
> Python 2, whereas the book you are using is intended for Python 3. In
> Python 2, to get the same result as input() in Python 3, you have to
> use raw_input instead.
>
> name=raw_input(“What is your name? “)
>
> Alternatively, you could of course install Python 3.1 instead of
> Python 2.7 (or whatever version you are running).
>
> --
> André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com

Elegbede Muhammed Oladipupo
OCA
+2348077682428
+2347042171716
www.dudupay.com
Mobile Banking Solutions | Transaction Processing | Enterprise Application
Development