[Tutor] Converting From Unicode to ASCII!!

David Hutto smokefloat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 06:54:23 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Nevins Duret <duretn at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>

>                 Don’t know if I’ll be bashed on this forum for doing this,
> but I will assure you I have the best intentions and
>
> simply want to apply a real world problem and how to go about solving it
> using python3.1.  Here is my  predicament.
>
> A good friend of mine locked herself out of her computer and forgot her
> password.  I pretty much scoured the internet as
>
> a resource only to hit a brick wall.  I tried using ophcrack version 2.3.1
> in order to obtain the password and felt completely at home
>
> being that it was Linux,  but then towards the end it failed and the output
> of this file which seems to contain the Users and passwords

The linux forums might be better. Or you could use:

http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=linux+lost+password+brute+force&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

> but in Unicode format:
>

> Administrator:500::31d6cfe0d16ae931b73c59d7e0c089c 0:::
> Guest:501::31d6cfe0d16ae931b73c59d7e0c089c0:::
> SUPPORT_388945a0:1002::881037e0b6909b04b6900f7c806 dca6e:::
> HelpAssistant:1004:b209ce7e3ff7aea1131906e9f5df481
> 9:d83f663c50bcd5815ccb94f9e38a9a4b:::
> Beverly:1005:00006395b1acd69aaad3b435b51404ee:992a
> c78ffb08204c592c6e47b916f85d:::
>

> And it didn’t complete as a result of this error message:
>

> Tables found:
> /mnt/hdc/tables/xp_free_small
>
> Found one partition that contains hashes:
> /mnt/hda1/WINDOWS/system32/config
>
> Starting Ophcrack
> QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using ASCII for conversion, iconv_open
> failed
> QIconvCodec::convertToUnicode: using ASCII for conversion, iconv_open failed
> /home/tux/launch.sh: line 100: 1044 Killed
> ABLES_INLINE -w $FOUND/ -n $numcpu -o /tmp/ophcrack.txt $opts
> Press a key to exit::
>

> Now , I remember reading somewhere that Python is very good for converting
> Unicode
>
> data into ASCII and admittedly know nothing about this:
>

> Is there a work around in Python where I can simply import the file like and
> convert it to readable string using
>
> A for loop.
>

> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.  So far, I’m reading up on
> this topic at this url:
>
> http://docs.python.org/howto/unicode.html
>

> Best Regards,
>

> Nevins Duret

The lawyer in me says argue...even if you're wrong. The scientist in
me... says shut up, listen, and then argue. But the lawyer won on
appeal, so now I have to argue due to a court order.

Furthermore, if you could be a scientific celebrity, would you want
einstein sitting around with you on saturday morning, while you're
sitting in your undies, watching Underdog?...Or better yet, would
Einstein want you to violate his Underdog time?

Can you imagine Einstein sitting around in his underware? Thinking
about the relativity between his pubic nardsac, and his Fruit of the
Looms, while knocking a few Dorito's crumbs off his inner brilliant
white thighs, and hailing E = mc**2, and licking the orangy,
delicious, Doritoey crust that layered his genetically rippled
fingertips?

But then again, J. Edgar Hoover would want his pantyhose intertwined
within the equation.

However, I digress, momentarily.

But Einstein gave freely, for humanity, not for gain, other than
personal freedom.

An equation that benefited all, and yet gain is a personal product.

Also, if you can answer it, is gravity anymore than interplanetary static cling?