[Tutor] Ideas and good examples

Tino Dai oberoc at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 20:53:41 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:24 PM, David Goering <dgoering at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> this is my first message here... and come to think of it my first Message
> in a Mailing List what so ever. So a moment of epic historical importance :)
> Anyway I decided I wanted to learn Python as I didn't really know any
> scripting language yet and I have heard great things about Python.
> I already have some experience in Java and minor experience in C
> languages... so I think I will pick up on the syntax pretty quickly (just
> have to get used to not using braces and indent my code correctly :D )
> Anyhow my programming knowledge is based off classes and less off of
> practically using them a lot... So I have implemented various algorithms
> etc. but haven't written many full programs from beginning to end.
> And that is basically my question / problem. I don't have many good ideas
> and I don't really have a lot of experience with going from an idea to a
> full scale program.
> So I guess I have two questions:
> 1) Does anyone have ideas for small - mid ranged projects where I could
> quickly pick up on the pitfalls of Python but that is also useful in some
> way ? I had a small idea where I could write a program to sync two folders
> mp3 files based on filename and ID3 Tags with a GUI to control it, but would
> love to hear other ideas.

Start reading Dive into Python http://diveintopython.org/ . He has an
example like that

> 2) Is there some tutorial out there that really leads you from scratch to a
> full blown program (with GUI or Database connection or whatever) with Code
> documentation etc. just to see how one could approach it

Start with TKinter or a framework like Django. Please note that Django is
out of scope for this list, but there are plenty of good resources out on
the net.

Finally you should check out Alan Gauld's page:
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/  and Kent Johnson page:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~kent37/blog/<http://personalpages.tds.net/%7Ekent37/blog/>

Welcome!
Tino