[Tutor] Help with range of months [was Tutor Digest, Vol 84, Issue 8]

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Feb 2 21:11:41 CET 2011

Hi Nevins, I don't think I've seen you post here before. Welcome to the
list!

Before answering your comment (see below), I have to give you a gentle
wrap on the knuckles. It's considered impolite to:

(1) reply to a digest without changing the subject line from "Tutor
Digest" to something more meaningful; and

(2) reply to a digest without trimming (deleting) the 200+ lines that
have nothing to do with your comment;

both of which you have done.

Nevins Duret wrote:

[snip]
> I think the stigma of
> the "homework bandwagon" comes from the very nature of coding and it's
> secretive and cryptic undertones, it's something very personal in the
> sense that, although there is usually more than 1 way to solve a
> problem, there's always "THE MOST" and more efficient way IMHO, that
> some people are just not willing to share.

I think you couldn't be more wrong to describe coding as "secretive and
cryptic", and it is ironic that you are making this accusation on a
mailing list crewed by volunteers who don't get a cent for donating
their time and expertise to help others, using a programming language
which has been donated for free to the programming community. Python is
Open Source software -- not only is it free like "free beer", but it's
also free like in "freedom of speech". If you want to see how secretive
Python is, I suggest you go here:

http://www.python.org/download/source/

and download every single line of code used by the Python interpreter
and the entire standard library, and then read the licence:

http://docs.python.org/license.html

which grants you the freedom to do anything you like with it, virtually
without restriction. You might find that source code cryptic (I know I
would find parts of it so), but that's a function of ignorance, not an
inherent characteristic of programming.

Python is just one tiny part of the Free Software and Open Source
movement(s), possibly and arguably best exemplified by the Free Software
Foundation:

http://www.fsf.org/

and the GNU project:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

Of course there are always "some people", but with 7 billion people on
the planet that applies to virtually anything. Speaking for myself, I
have *never* withheld an answer to a question because I wanted to keep
it to myself. I've *very occasionally* withheld answers because I
thought the questioner was being a leach, taking without any possibility
of giving back, or was rude and inconsiderate. I've frequently failed to
answer because I'm busy and there are only so many hours in a day (so
apologies to anyone waiting for a response from me who hasn't received one).

--
Steven