[Tutor] Guidance About Installing First Python Module

Homme, James james.homme at highmark.com
Thu Dec 22 19:52:42 CET 2011

Hi,
This is on Windows XP Professional.

Before asking this question, I read the tutorial at PyPi, among other things. By the time I was done attempting to figure out seemingly conflicting documentation about how to get and install Python modules, I attempted to deduce that I should get virtualenv.py, which would go and get some magic stuff that then would enable me to start to install other Python modules. I downloaded it and ran it. It pointed out an error, and said that this usually happens when someone installs Python for just their user. That was true for me. I uninstalled and re-installed Python, this time for all users. I noticed that the entire error message didn't print out, so I opened up the program and found the whole error message. It says this.

Note: some Windows users have reported this error when they installed Python for "Only this user".  The problem may be resolvable if you
install Python "For all users".  (See https://bugs.launchpad.net/virtualenv/+bug/352844). I went to that page and read some stuff that says that the program needs to find python25.dll or python26.dll, so I popped open Windows Find and searched for Python*.dll. I found  some older dll's like python25.dll and python26.dll in other folders, but not my Python 2.7.2 setup. I went back to the page where the bug is reported and clicked to see the full activity log. There was nothing about Python 27 in there.

How should I proceed?

Thanks.

Jim

Jim Homme,
Usability Services,
Phone: 412-544-1810.

This e-mail and any attachments to it are confidential and are intended solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. The views expressed in this e-mail message do not necessarily represent the views of Highmark Inc., its subsidiaries, or affiliates.