[Tutor] list mail formatting

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 22 00:51:46 CET 2011

On 21/12/11 11:49, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> Can I just ask why the majority of the mail on this list is in
 > multipart/alternative and/or html format.

Because thats what the majority of email systems are set up to
send as default, and have been for the last 10 years or more.

> Is there not a requirement to use plain text as with
 > most other technical mailing lists?

No, because many of the users of this list are non technical
beginners who understand relatively little about computers.
We  request, and advise where possible, on setting up email
in plain text, but we do not insist since that would deter
the very people we are trying to help.

> I don't mean to moan and I know it's not a major issue but still.

It's a frustration to most folks who were brought up on
plain-text email. But most modern emailers find the idea
of using only plain text anachronistic at best and just
downright bizarre in many (most?) cases!

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site