[Tutor] A few Python Mysteries

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 21 20:33:30 CET 2011

Howdy,

On 12/21/2011 2:08 AM, Walter Prins wrote:
> Hi Wayne,
>
> On 21 December 2011 02:32, Wayne Watson<sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net>  wrote:
>> I changed Python25 to Python27, and rebooted.  I got the same two dll msgs
>> again.
> The PATH issue has nothing to do with your error messages.
True, but it should have a lot to do with Python27.  Some good news is
that unlike previous attempts, I can actually see IDLE as a choice on a
right-click of a py file. However, a spinner icon appears for about 5
seconds and then disappears.
> Python25.dll is normally installed in the C:\Windows\System32 folder,
> not C:\Python25, so whether or not c:\Python25 is in your PATH is
> irrelevant to whether it will be found (in C:\Windows\System32).
I have no Python of any kind in System32.  I uninstalled 25 months ago.
As far as I can tell, there is not a scrap of it left.

> The facts as far as I can tell are:
> a) Some application in your startup is trying to link to/load
> Python25.dll but failing as per the message you posted.
Hmm, I made have made a mistake about a 25 dll.  When I rebooted last
night, I though I recalled 26. I'll reboot again in awhile and verify
that. Yikes! No need. It's 26dll.  I wrote it down after my first boot.
My second was last night.
> b) You've uninstalled Python 2.5, so a) is not really surprising.
> c) The application (whatever it is) will *NOT* automatically start
> using the newer Python27.dll because you've installed Python 2.7.
> These are considered seperate/distinct versions of Python.
>
> Your options to get rid of the message is:
> a) Reinstall Python 2.5
> b) Remove the application that depends on Python 2.5 (that is
> expecting it to be present.)
>
> To add: I'd be careful of 32 bit/64 bit issues -- If the application
> trying to run is in fact 32 bit then you should probably be installing
> the 32-bit version of Python, otherwise it probably still won't find
> Python25.dll.
Forgetting about 25 (32-bit), per above, I installed a 64-bit version of
2.7.2. python-2.7.2.adm64.msi.