[Tutor] help with a class

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Wed Aug 24 22:03:15 CEST 2011

I was under the impression that asserts are more for testing than for production code (especially since they can be removed when running from python from command line). Instead I removed the assert and replaced it to raise an error.

def overide_options(self, options, run_id=None):
        """ completely overide the options dict """

        if not isinstance(options, dict):
                raise TypeError("override options requires a dict")
        if run_id in self.run_queue:
            self.run_queue[run_id] = options
        else:
            self.options = options

Do you really care if it is a dict versus defaultdict or something else that is dict-like? This will fail if I pass in a dict-like class (i.e. if I wrote dict from scratch) that does not inherit from dict.

Ramit

712 Main Street | Houston, TX 77002
work phone: 713 - 216 - 5423