[Tutor] Making a Python Window

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 22 18:37:24 CEST 2011

On 22/08/11 16:21, Susana Iraiis Delgado Rodriguez wrote:

> I want to start desingning and developing python interfaces, but I don't
> know what library or tool can help me to accomplish my goal.

Three are pros and cons to all the different options available.

My personal recommendation is to use Tkinter, purely because it comes
with Python and is one of the easiest to learn.

wxPython and PyQt and pyGTK are all valid alternatives but you need to
download and install them. Tkinter comes in the standard library.

> Windows XP. The interfaces I want to create will be very simple, just to
> select a directory, entry some text, etc.

You might find easyGUI is sufficient for your needs but its not a full
GUI tool, it just makes using Python in a GUI environment slightly more
user friendly.

Personally I'd stick with Tkinter.

You can find a short introduction to GUI programming in my tutorial, and
it covers Tkinter and a short comparative example using wxPython.
The latter is definitely a better bet if you want to move on to more
sophisticated UIs, especially if you want to include features like
printing (surprisingly difficult on Windows!)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site