[Tutor] Standard way to create debian packages for python programs?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 19 01:08:30 CEST 2011

On 18/08/11 16:39, Mac Ryan wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 22:43:09 +1000
> Steven D'Aprano<steve at pearwood.info>  wrote:
>>
>> This is a mailing list for learning the programming Python, not on
>> how to built Debian packages.
>>
>> You will probably get better answers if you ask this question on a
>> Debian packaging forum.
>
> 	In particular, `distutils` is part of the standard python
> distribution and it is in no way specific to Debian, so I don't feel
> this is the wrong place to ask,

Technically it's a valid question because it is about a module in the
standard library. But it's not really about the language and building
Linux packages is well beyond what most newbies get up to - and
in fact I don't know of too many experienced Python users who do
it either!

So I think Steven's advice is probably valid and you will get better
advice asking on the Debian/[UKX]buntu/Mint forums or on the main Python
list.

I notice there is also a distutils SIG with a mailing list which looks
like they might help. A quick look at some mails suggests they cover
this kind of issue.

FWIW I used the gmane web site to take a quick look...

--
Alan G
tutor list moderator