[Tutor] Standard way to create debian packages for python programs?

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Thu Aug 18 20:26:49 CEST 2011

>> To be honest, even after reading your original post twice (now
>> knowing you are actually asking a Python question) I am unsure what
>> Python question you are asking.
>
>Apologies, English is not my mother tongue, maybe I wasn't able to
>express myself clearly enough?

No apologies are necessary. I was just trying to explain that I (and possibly others) did not understand. Your clarification has helped greatly.

>> >   II. What are the specificities for DEB packages? The official
>> >       documentation only seems to deal with RPM and Windows stuff...
>>
>> Not a Python question and no clue.
>
>It *IS* a python question as it refers to the distutils module. If you
>read the documentation
> (http://docs.python.org/distutils/builtdist.html) you will see that
>there are sections about windows exe installer and RPM packages, but
>none for DEB... how is so? Maybe distutils can't handle build
>distribution for this platform? Or maybe it is simply undocumented?

I know this does not directly answer your question, but are you able to build an RPM? You can use the utility 'alien' to convert an RPM to a .deb

>Of the three links you provided, two were in my original question...
>The third link's answer only contains a link to another source from my
>original question... :(

Whoops, sorry about that. Sadly, this as much help as I can provide. Again, I suggest you take this to the main python list. You are more likely to receive the help you desire there.

Ramit

712 Main Street | Houston, TX 77002
work phone: 713 - 216 - 5423