[Tutor] Passing functions(with parameters) as paramiters to (looping)functions.

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Tue Aug 16 19:26:56 CEST 2011

>def loop(fn ):
>     for i in range(5):
>         fn(  )
>
>def this_function(a=" i am not a string"):
>     print( a )
>
>loop(this_function("I am a string") )  ## note the only change is here
>
>## With this as output:
>

>I am a string
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/home/jeff/MyPythonStuff/call_sub.py", line 9, in <module>
>     loop(this_function("I am a string") )
>   File "/home/jeff/MyPythonStuff/call_sub.py", line 4, in loop
>     fn(  )
>TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable

NOTE: All code is untested.

You get a NoneType because this_function returns a None. What is happening is the this_function("xxx") gets called first and then that return value gets passed into loop as 'loop(None)'. I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but I would probably do something like passing in a list of arguments.

loop(this_function, iterable_of_arguments)

def loop(fn, args):
     for arg in args :
         fn( arg )

The way I would get an argument gets passed to this_function is really dependent on your goal. You may want to look at itertools / map libraries as well for more options.

Ramit

712 Main Street | Houston, TX 77002
work phone: 713 - 216 - 5423