[Tutor] Just started Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 28 02:05:55 CEST 2011

"Johnson Tran" <aznjonn at me.com> wrote

> Okay so my final program is:

It works but you can improve it slightly with a simple change.

> model=raw_input("What kind of car do you drive?")
> gallons=raw_input("How many gallons have you driven?")
> miles=raw_input("How many miles have you driven?")
>
> try:
>    number1 = float(gallons)
>    number2 = float(miles)

Combine these two groups of lines so that you detect
the errors as soon as possible.:

try:
   model=raw_input("What kind of car do you drive?")
   gallons=raw_input("How many gallons have you driven?")
   number1 = float(gallons)
   miles=raw_input("How many miles have you driven?")
   number2 = float(miles)

Now the user gets prompted as soon as they enter a wrong
number, they don't need to guess which one was wrong...

except ValueError:
    print "That value is the wrong type, please use a number."

And so we can make the message more specific too.

> else:
>    print "Your average number of miles to gallons is",
>    print number1 / number2

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld