[Tutor] Distutils Font Error

Greg Nielsen gollumgreg407366 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 06:57:26 CEST 2011

Dear Fellow Python Users,

     I am currently working on a small Python 3.1.3 game on a Windows 7
machine and am attempting to freezing it using Distutils and cx_freeze so I
can share it with friends and family. Several attempts in I reached an error
that I am unable to fix and was hoping for some advice. The error is as
followes.

C:\Users\Greg\Documents\NetBeansProjects\Racing1\src\build\exe.win32-3.1>racing1
.exe
C:\Users\Greg\Documents\NetBeansProjects\Racing1\src\build\exe.win32-3.1\library
.zip\RacingLibrary.py:335: RuntimeWarning: use font: DLL load failed: %1 is
not
a valid Win32 application.
(ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python31\lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\Console3.py",
line 2
7, in <module>
    exec(code, m.__dict__)
  File "racing1.py", line 81, in <module>
  File "racing1.py", line 28, in main
  File
"C:\Users\Greg\Documents\NetBeansProjects\Racing1\src\RacingLibrary.py",
line 335, in __init__
    self.font = pygame.font.Font("freesansbold.ttf", 20)
  File "C:\Python31\lib\site-packages\pygame\__init__.py", line 70, in
__getattr
__
    raise NotImplementedError(MissingPygameModule)
NotImplementedError: font module not available
(ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.)

This error occurs regardless to whether I use a freeware font and save a
copy of it in the .exe directory or if I attempt to call SysFont("None") Is
it possible that either Distutils or cx_freeze does not support .ttf? It's
the best guess I have at the moment. Hopefully someone can shed some light
into what is really going on here. Thank you to everyone who takes time to
read this and perhaps even respond with a possible solution. Mr. Nielsen