[Tutor] Running python on windows

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 11 22:44:28 CEST 2011

"Mike Silverson" <msilvers321 at gmail.com> wrote

> installed on the target computer.  I am trying to send a program to
> a friend
> using windows and he does not have python installed, and does not
> want to
> take the time to install it.

Given how quickly Python installs compared to many other apps I
can only assume he uses Wordpad as his word processor?! Honestly
you could just build an installer that installed Python and your files
and I doubt he'd notice the install time as being excessive!

However, there is no way to run Python without installing an
interpreter.
If you don't use a standalone install you need to build the
interpreter
into an exe and then install a separate python installation for every
app
he uses. Its mad. Does he refuse to install .Net or Java or the
VisualBasic runtime?

But if he must there are several options available, the best known
is py2exe but there are others out there.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site