[Tutor] Help needed

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 8 09:05:26 CEST 2011

"Aaron Brown" <brownam at gmail.com> wrote

>I am in an online python class and am failing badly.  I am not sure
>where
> the problem is here but any insight would be great.

When posting always include the full error text since
it usually helps locate the precise location more clearly
than a verbal description or summary.

> def main():
>    while (True):

How do you intend to exit?
I don't see any return or break statements?
But thats not the immediate issue....

>        allowed = int(input("Please enter minutes allowed between 100
> and
> 700: "))
>        used = int(input("How many minutes were used: "))
>        totalOver = used - allowed
>        totalDue = (64.95 + (0.15*totalOver))
>        if(totalOver > 0):
>            print("You were over your minutes by " + str(totalOver))

You don;t need to call str() because print can do that for you.
All you need is:

print("You were over your minutes by ", totalOver)

>        else:
>            totalOver = 0
>            print("You were not over your minutes for the month")
>            print ("Do you want to end program? Enter yes or no:")
>            toEnd = raw_input()

Most of the code looks like Python v3 but this line is from Pyhon
v2...
raw_input has been replaced by input() in v3.
However, that should generate a NameError not a SyntaxError.

>            if toEnd == "yes":
>                print("MONTHLY USE REPORT")
>                print("Minutes allowed were " + str(allowed))
>                print("Minutes used were " + str(used))
>                print("Minutes over were " + str(totalOver))
>                print("Total due is $ " + str(totalDue(totalOver))
>
> I keep getting a syntax error in a blank line at the bottom.  I have
> tried
> to end it with main() but it errors on the main as well?

The only probblem that jumps out at me is the raw_input()
but that would not be a syntax error...

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld