[Tutor] Runnig a windows.exe from python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 29 23:18:16 CEST 2010

"Susana Iraiis Delgado Rodriguez" <susana.delgado_s at utzmg.edu.mx>
wrote

> I'm working in a simple python module to run a external command,
> this
> command is named "ogr2ogr.exe" . When I execute my python script :
>
> *import os
> def call():
>     os.system(' "C:\\Archivos de
> programa\\FWTools2.4.7\\bin\\ogr2ogr.exe"
> ')*
> *     raw_input()*
> *call()*
> It runs, but if I want to enter arguments: *ogr2ogr*  to test my
> .exe, it
> shows me an error *"ogr2ogr is not define", *any suggestion?

You need to read the arfguments before calling the exe. Then create
the full
command string and pass that tro os.system.

However os.system is a blunt instrument, you will find you have much
more
control using the subprocess module which supercedes os.system and
various others ways of executing external programs. It take a wee bit
more effort but the extra control is worth it.

The documentation  has numerous examples and the "Using the OS"
topic of my tutorial has some info too.

HTH

--
Alan Gauld