[Tutor] I am looking for a book on Beginners who never programmed before or have no experience in programming

Jeremy Jones jemejones at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 11:37:12 CEST 2010

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 11:50 PM, Preetinder Singh <putjatt at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi I am trying to learn how to program, I want to become a software
> developer so I can develop a software and also understand how to write my
> own software not copying someone else. So if there any book or online
> tutorials for complete beginners. I went to the python website and on wiki
> python and there are so many books to choose from, please help me choose
> one.

"Beginning Python" by Magnus lie Hetland is good.  I have the first
edition, but not the second.  I can only imagine that it got better.
"Head First Programming: A Learner's Guide to Programming Using the
Python Language" by David Griffiths and Paul Barry was a great read.
It's unconventional (by their nature, all Head First books are), but
excellent.  It's about programming in general, but uses Python to
demonstrate.
There's also a new book coming out shortly that will probably benefit
you: "Head First Python".  Again, it's unconventional, but thoroughly
enjoyable and informative.

Disclaimer:  I tech reviewed all 3 of these books.  I don't get any
more $ for you buying them, though.

Another great read is the Python Cookbook.  You can find the recipes
online, also, but sometimes it's good to just sit with a hard copy of
the book.  The cookbook will walk you through tons of code examples,
which is really helpful when you're learning a new language (or any
language for the first time).

HTH,

- jmj