[Tutor] What are "singletons" good for?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 19 18:09:37 CEST 2010

"Steven D'Aprano" <steve at pearwood.info> wrote

> < much sense about singleton v global>

> and think this makes their code "better". (I blame the Go4 for
> making a
> religion out of design patterns which exist only to work around
> Java's
> limitations.)

In fact the original design patterns were based around Smalltalk's
limitations since most of the Go4 were/are Smalltalk hackers. And
thus the Singleton - because Smalltalk has no concept of global
variables.

The book was registered in 1994 and released in 1995, a full year
before the first Java JDK was made publicly available.

Alan G.