[Tutor] Summing up numbers in a file

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Tue Oct 26 22:38:51 CEST 2010

On 10/26/2010 1:20 PM masawudu bature said...
> How do I sum all occurrences of  a number in a file?
> I have a file with a bunch of numbers, each on it's own line:
>
> 5
> 3
> 11
> 3
> 7
> 3
> 5
> 5
> 11
> 7
> 7
> How do i sum them up so that the output will be ,
> 5 :  15
> 3 :   9
> 11:  22
> 7 :   21

Well, you'll need to read the lines of the file in and group them
together. Then, for each group, print both the number and the result
when multiplied by the count.

To do this, you'll need the name of the file and use open to read it in.
  I'd suggest using a dict to accumulate the groups, and a loop to print
the results.

What have you got so far?

Emile