[Tutor] 2.6 vs 2.7: package compatibility?

Alex Hall mehgcap at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 03:20:49 CEST 2010

Hi all,
I want to run a certain program from source. One dependency, Durus,
keeps giving me an error that no one can figure out. Someone said that
it will work if I use 2.7 instead of 2.6, but a lot of packages I have
installed work only on 2.6. I know I can install both, but here is the
question: all these packages that say they need 2.6... would they work
on 2.7? That is, is the 2.6 the only version of python with which they
will work, or just the minimum version (I know about the
incompatibility between 2.x and 3). I would rather have just one
version of python running; it makes keeping track of what packages I
have installed easier, and I never could get my idea of two system
variables, one for each version, to work properly. TIA.

--
Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)