[Tutor] Is Python useful for emulating?

Luke Paireepinart rabidpoobear at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 10:14:01 CET 2010

It probably won't be fast enough. I wrote an NES emu in python and I ran into a lot of performance issues.

If you're new to emu scene, start with David winters' doc and write a chip-8 emu. I will help you learn the structure and process of writing an emulator. Then reimplememt it in c afterward. I'm actually in th midst of writing an introductory emulation ebook that follows a similar course.

Another consideration that I will explore myself is languages like rpython or Pyrex that are similar to python but can be compiled down for speed. Might be worth a look for you too.

Good luck, and if you need any mentorship or have any questions about starting out writing emulators just drop me a line!

Sent from a mobile device with a bad e-mail client.