[Tutor] Grabbing Info from Text files?

Michael Stover m_stover43812us at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 07:28:53 CET 2010

Hello,
I have been getting lost when trying to find the needed information on how to
grab information from text files to be used in a python script I am working on.
Essentially the script is calling upon other programs to grab specific
information about files and putting that information into basic text files. When
I say basic I mean basic, each piece of information has its own line such as:
InfoOne=?
InfoTwo=?
Where the ? is a value ranging from 1 character up to 5 (usually numbers), and
it is the value I represented with ? that I need to grab. I am hoping it is
possible to grab 1 line at a time so variables can be set for use later in my
script.
I have tried to "decipher" the python documents on this, but honestly, being a
dabbler in python I am getting "lost, dazed and confused" as friends would put
it.
Thankfully this is not for any homework assignments, it is merely a script I am
working on for making some repetitive tasks more automated, such as grabbing
information about video files, and if needed convert them. I have yet to find a
program that does what I am aiming for so I started creating a python script (as
python is already installed on my Linux distro). It just seems to have become
more complicated that I had hoped, but I am at a point now were I do not want to
leave it unfinished. If an example of my script is needed I am more than willing
to provide it for clarification of what I am trying to do.
Thanks,
Mike